Xi’an is the old capital of China and also one of the oldest cities in China. People rush to Xi’an to check out the most famous Terracotta Army, the food at Muslim Quarter, Hanyang Mousoleum, City Wall, Big Wild Goose Pagoda and many more. If you visit a bit further away from Xi’an city, you can get in touch with the mother nature and one of the incredible waterfall you need to see is Hukou Waterfall.
Xi’an held the position under several of the most important dynasties in Chinese history, therefore Xi’an is full of Chinese history and culture. It is also one of the most important city you need to visit in China.
Please refer to below itinerary for Xi’an :
1. Famen Temple -the temple is also renowned for storing the Finger Bone of the Sakyamuni Buddha. Check out these things in Famen Temple :
Avenue of Buddha Anticorona & Namaste Dagoba
2. Giant Wild Goose Pagoda/ 大雁塔 – good example of Chinese traditional architecture, which was built with layers of bricks without any cement.
3.Free musical fountain in North Square – biggest one in Asia!
Tips :You may want to have a vegetarian lunch in Famen temple.
1. Lunch at Yaodong – get an introduction of Yaodong – cave house in China. Go check out the their heated bed also known as “kang”/炕.
2. Mausoleum of the Yellow Emperor/黄帝陵 -an important location where generations of emperors and famous people made offerings to the Yellow Emperor. The Yellow Emperor is now regarded as the initiator of Chinese civilization, and said to be the ancestor of all Chinese. Go check out the old trees – “King” of Cypress Tress.
3. Hukou Waterfall/壶口瀑布 – the only yellow waterfall in the world
4. Yellow River – mother river for the Chinese people
Tips : Bring along a disposal poncho for Hukou Waterfall, chance of getting wet is very high.
1. Daming Palace in National Heritage Park – royal residence of the Tang emperors for more than 220 years. Go watch a 3D movie in Daming Palace IMax to get a better understand of Tang dynasty.
2. Visiting Huxian village – and have a homestay experience of peasant painting in Huxian and paper cutting. Also check out the new & old village in Huxian.
3.Lavender and Cosmos Park – if you like flowers go check this out.
4. Sha Sha River – go rent the Chinese Army clothing or Chinese traditional costume and shoot pictures in Sha Sha River.
5. Muslim District in Xi’an city – Try Dumpling dinner – up to 20 types of different type of dumpling in different size and shape served. Try “biang biang” noodle – Xi’an famous dish.
Tips : If you love to experience more of Xi’an village life, book a homestay with the artist Pang Xiao Ling. She has a decent mansion opposite her art studio, all basic necessity is there.
China Xi’an 4 – Colors of the Terracotta warriors were faded within minutes after the archaeologists dig it out !
1. Xian City Wall – rent a bike and cycle at the ancient city wall.
2. Huaqing/华清池 Hot Springs – bathing pool for Yang Gui Fei. Located on the way to Terracotta Warriors site.
3. Terracotta Warriors – most significant archaeological excavation of the 20th century! Xi’an highlight!
4. Dynasty Tang Concert Show – dance performance with English subtitle.
Tips : Beware of your belongings in Terracotta Warriors museum as the visitors are so crowded especially during holiday season in China.
1. Hua Shan/ Mount Hua – China’s Big Five mountains, all Kung Fu legendary go there for fighting their titles. Go by Cable Car to Hua Shan and look for 4 Peak in Hua Shan.
2. Try Xian Roast Duck for Dinner – eating only duck skin, wrap in ultra thin pancake.
3. Xian Metro & Xian City – check out Xian City- food & shopping
4. HanYangling Mausoleum of Han Dynasty/汉阳陵 – another historical site in Xi’an is near the airport. You will see Underground Glass Museum, this time you will see Miniature Terracotta Warrior instead of giant size terracotta.
Tips : Hua Shan is all the legendary heroes dream place to fight and gained their titles. A lot of steep climbing so a proper shoes is required! You may want to try the deadly “plankhike”/”plankwalk”!
Final thoughts : China is so big, if you asked me which part of China should you visit, then I have to say Xi’an. It offer rich history, culture & nature. You need about one week to cover Xi’an China.
Other places in China you may be interested :
- Shanghai Free & Easy – Summary Itinerary for 4 days 3 nights!
- Guangxi Summary Itinerary For Nature Lover
- Summary Itinerary Yunnan China
I have affiliate program with the following booking website, so please click at your preference booking website here to check the hotels or airbnb you like to stay for your Shaanxi China trip.