Our China tour started from Zhengzhou then Kaifeng and now we are heading to Luoyang. We are spending 4 days 3 nights here.
Located in Henan, Luoyang is an important old capital for multiple dynasties. From Kaifeng North station to Luoyang Longmen station, it takes about an hour by high speed train.
Our Itinerary in Luoyang 4D3N
- From Kaifeng North took 9am high speed train to Luoyang Longmen, arrived at around 10 + in the morning. Took a taxi in the station to our hotel, glad it allows us to early check in. Most hotels allowed us for early check in in China.
- Load our luggage in hotel and immediately depart to Baima Shi / White Horse Temple
- Before we went in to Baima Shi, we had the Luoyang Water Feast for lunch
- You need about 1-2 hours to spend in Baima shi
- 隋唐洛阳城国家遗址公园 Sui and Tang Luoyang City National Heritage Park 1-2 hours. Personally I think you don’t have to go in because the entrance ticket is quite expensive RMB 90 /SGD 18 and there is no need to go in. The dance performance is only average. There is a tea ceremony but you have to pay for the seats which include tea, about RMB30/ SGD 5. Else you have stand and watch the tea ceremony.
- Louyang Old Street 洛阳老街 which is very near to our Hotel. Lots of street food and light up at night. We had Lamb steamboat and then walked back to our hotel.
- Shaolin Temple, we depart at 9am and arrived at around 10 am. There are many guides waiting at the entrance, you can hire one to guide you and explain the history.
- We paid for the tram so it brings us to the top, which is about 2 km walk. The tram drive suggest us to visit from the top and walk down. He also suggest us to visit Song Mountain.
- To visit Song Mountain, you need to catch the cable car to go up, it about15 mins up. The Song Mountain is very big, we only manage to walk a small portion of the route. It was all stairs up and down. You need about 3 to 4 hours to explore the routes but we only spend 1 to 2 hours up there.
- Had our simple lunch at the foot of Song Mountain before we start to explore Shaolin Temple.
- There are a few free shows, included in the ticket, so do check the timetable and go in 15 mins before show started.
- Do not visit the shaolin show which is located at the side of the temple, you need to pay extra money.
- We leave Shaolin Temple at around 3.30pm as it started to rain. We took taxi back to Luoyang and had BBQ duck for dinner which is just next to our hotel.
The big metal pot is use for cooking.
- Longmen Grottoes, about half an hour to reach from hotel
- It takes about 2-3 hours to explore
- The floor get slippery when it rains, so be extra careful as there are lot of steps.
- In the afternoon, we went to Luoyang Museum, local need to do reservation to enter, foreigners can use passport for entry. Entry is free. Best is to hire a guide to lead and explain to you the history.
- Back to hotel to take a rest, at around 4pm, we went 周公庙
- Then to Luoyi ancient city 洛邑古城. You will see lots of people wearing hanfu taking photos. Best time to visit when light up in the evening. Lots of shops for snacks and souvenirs.
- Took high speed train to Xian
Top places to visit in Luoyang
- Baima Shi/White Horse Temple – you can wear traditional clothing, outside there are a lot of photographers to follow you around and teach you how to pose for pictures.
- 隋唐洛阳城国家遗址公园 Sui and Tang Luoyang City National Heritage Park
- Louyang Old Street 洛阳老街 – visit at night for dinner and lots of street food
- Shaolin Temple and Song Mountain
- Longmen Grottoes 龙门石窟
- Luoyang Museum, use passport to enter and hire the guide outside to tell you stories of the artifacts
- Luoyi ancient city 洛邑古城 – wear hanfu and best to visit in the evening when light up
Top food to eat
- Luoyang Water Banquet 水席
- Luoyang beef soup for breakfast, people in Luoyang usually drink soup in the morning
- Guotie /Fried dumpling
- Haibi drinks, only in Luoyang has such drink
- Flower biscuit
What we eat
- Moutan peony Roast Duck 牡丹烤鸭
- Fresh abalone steam with garlic
- Fried binjar
- Mountain Yam dessert
- Qin cuisine – Fish stomach, pork belly with vegetable and soup
Where to stay : Travel World Hotel
The hotel is modern, located conveniently to the night market. We booked themed room which is very spacious, it has a tatami area for you to shoot photo, downstairs there is a hanfu shop if you want to rent hanfu to wear. You got to taste most of the local speciality in the breakfast. Service is good, guests are given souvenir upon check out. Don’t forget to try the Roast Duck next to the hotel, very tasty.
If you love hanfu experience, Luoyang is definitely the place to walk around in Hanfu. There are many hanfu rental shops on the street. 4D3N is just nice to look around Luoyang.