My Taiwan 8 days self drive – Summary Itinerary ( 16 Oct to 23 Oct 2016 )
We were glad to achieve the 3 Biggies in Taiwan during our 8 days round the island trip.
- Biggest Lake in Taiwan – Sun Moon Lake
- Biggest shopping premium outlets in Taiwan – E-DA world in Kaohsiung
- Biggest Buddhist monastery in Taiwan – Fo Guang Shan
Preparation before the trip :
- Plan your travel route and daily Itinerary
- Book air ticket in advance to secure a cheaper ticket.
- Book hotel through agoda.com.
- Car rental booking through rentalcars.com.
- Make sure you have your driving license and international driving permit for overseas driving.
Below map showing one round trip of our 8 days self drive in Taiwan Island. Rough estimation – 1126km to complete one round trip of Taiwan. Of course we did more km than that. It was an interesting experience, economical and fun to explore by your own.
- Arriving in Tao Yuan/桃園 Airport 3pm – pick up car rental
- Tao Yuan Airport to Kee Lung/基隆 -1 hr drive, bypass Taipei city
- Kee Lung Night Market/Miaokou night market (廟口夜市)
- Evergreen Laurel Hotel Keelung – 10 mins walk to night market
- Keelung/基隆 to Yilan/宜蘭(69.5km)
- Yilan Nanao/南澳 fishing village for lunch
- Yilan Nanao to Hualian/花莲 (100km) mountain drive
- Hualian Qixingtan 七星潭
- Dinner at Hualian city
- Ola Hotel Hualian
- Hualien/花莲 – Taitung/台东
- Taitung Brown’s Road / 伯朗大道 (120km)
- 台东伯朗大道 /Brown’s Road – Qiaoyeliu/小野柳地形景观区 (60km)
- Water Flow Uphill -mysterious phenomenon
- F Hotel Chipen 21.8km
- Taitung – Kaohsiung (172km)
- E-Da theme park – Greek themed amusement park
- E-Da Mall – Biggest outlet shopping mall in Taiwan
- E-Da Skylark Hotel in Kaohsiung
- E-Da Skylark Hotel – Fo Guang Shan/佛光山 (9km)
- Fo Guang Shan/佛光山 -Tainan
- Anping Fort/安平古堡 (67km)
- Chihkan Tower/赤崁樓
- Evergreen Plaza Hotel (3.2km)
- Evergreen Plaza Hotel to Fenqihu/奋起湖老镇 (111km) – 2 hours
- Fenqihu/奋起湖老镇 to Alishan (24km)
- Alishan to Renyi Lake Hotel (53km) -1.5 hours
- Renyi Lake Hotel at Chiayi to Sun Moon Lake ( 97.5km ) about 2 hours
- Sun Moon lake
- 法鼓山斋明寺/ Zhai Ming Temple
- Lang Kei Motel
- Cihu /Chiang Kai-shek Mausoleum in Taoyuan
- Return car at Taiwan High Speed Rail Station near Taoyuan
- Taoyuan Airport
Total budget for 8 days Self Drive in Taiwan
- 8 days for 3 adult pax cost about SGD 4150 in total. Each pax is about SGD 1400
- Taiwan – Air Ticket (Tigerair) – SGD 1200
- Rental Car (RentalCars) – SGD 800 (Toyota Camry)
- Hotel (Agoda) – SGD 1150 (My hotel is about 4 star come with breakfast, clean and comfortable for Singaporean standard)
- Cash – (spent about SGD 1000) including buying two pairs of winter boots and one designer handbags at E-da world premium outlets. We spend not that much in food, less than SGD 10 per pax per meal.
Special notes : Taiwan self drive is more for advance & experience driver as some of the roads, especially in Hualien mountain road, Alishan mountain road & Nanhui (highway 9) are very snaky and plenty of sharp turns. There are also many motorbikes and scooters when you enter to some major town city centre. Otherwise driving in countryside is pretty OK. If you are not advance, you may want to consider starting your self drive in Japan, start with Self Drive Kyushu Island, similar to Self Drive in Australia. Kyushu Island is also the size of Taiwan Island but roads in Kyushu is wider and less motorbikes.
Click here for other self drive destination :
- Self Drive in Kyushu Island Japan (Fukuoka, Beppu, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Miyazaki)
- Self Drive in Central Region Japan (Gifu, Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route, Matsumoto, Mt Fuji, Nagoya)
- Self Drive in Britain, United Kingdom ( England, Wales & Edinburgh)
- Self Drive in Thailand (From Bangkok to Chiang Mai)