8 days Thailand Getaway – Itinerary summary and hotel details.
Before my departure, there are some preparation work to be done. These are the few action item:
Action item/Checklist before departure:
- Plan your travel route and daily Itinerary
- Book air ticket in advance, preferably 3 to 6 months in order to secure a cheaper ticket through skyscanner.com.
- Book hotel through agoda.com.
- Car rental booking through rentalcars.com.
- Make sure you have your driving license and international driving permit for overseas driving.
Below map show our 8 days self driving in Thailand, from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. We rented car from Bangkok and return our car rental in Chiang Mai and flew back from Chiang Mai Airport. Rough estimation – 1120km, but I am sure we did way more than that. It was an easy, pretty safe and fun self driving experience one should not miss!
- Bangkok Airport to Ayutthaya city (94.5km)
- Highlight – Historic City of Ayutthaya -second Siamese capital (Unesco)
- Hotel – 42C The Chic Hotel at Nakhon Sawan (166km from Ayutthaya)
- Nakhon Sawan – Sukhothai (185km)
- Highlight – Historica City of Sukhothai – First Siamese capital (Unesco)
- Hotel – Legendha Sukhothai Hotel at Sukhothai
- Sukhothai – Si Satchanalai Historical Park (55.7km)
- Si Satchanalai Historical Park – Lampang (154km)
- Chicken bowl museum Lampang
- Wat Prathat Lampang Luang temple
- Lampang River Lodge Hotel
- Lampang – Chiang Rai (227km)
- Toilet break stopover at Phayao
- White temple Chiang Mai
- Singha Beer Park
- Outside of one of the Karen Long neck village
- Mae Fah Luang University
- Phufa Waree Chiangrai Resort
- Chiang Rai – Golden Triangle (70km)
- Golden Triangle – Mae Salong (1 hour drive)
- Mae Salong – Long neck Karen Village ( 1 hour )
- Long Neck Karen Village – Singha Beer Park ( 30 min)
- Laluna Hotel and Resort in Chiang Rai city
- Chiang Rai – Chiang Mai (200km)
- Stopover at Hot spring/Khmer Style temple on the highway
- Doi Suthep temple – most famous in Chiang Mai
- Horizon Village & Resort at Tweechol Botanic Garden, outskirt of Chiang Mai
- Exploring Tweechol Botanic Garden
- Chiang Mai – Elephant camp
- The Imperial Mae Ping Hotel in Chiang Mai town area
- Tha Phae Gate
- Wat Phan Tao -temple
- Three Kings Monument
- Wat Chedi Luang Worawihan -temple
- Wat Thung Yu -temple
- Phra Singh temple
- Chiang Mai Airport (less than 30 mins from Chiang Mai town)
You may also like other self drive destination :
- Self Drive in Kyushu Island Japan (Fukuoka, Beppu, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Miyazaki)
- Self Drive in Central Region Japan (Gifu, Takayama, Shirakawa-go,Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route, Matsumoto, Mt Fuji, Nagoya)
- Self Drive in Britain, United Kingdom ( England, Wales & Edinburgh)
- Self Drive in Taiwan Round The Island
I have affiliate program with the following booking website, so please click at your preference booking website here to check the hotels or airbnb you like to stay for your Thailand trip.
Booking Resources :