This itinerary include :
- Old Town – Yufuin
- Characters shop – Totoro & friends – Japanese animation
- Themed Park – Sanrio Hormonyland Oita
- Fun Rides – Ferris Wheel Amuran in Kagoshima City
- Hot Spring – Beppu “HELL” colorful hot spring for viewing only
- Beach – Miyazaki
- Shrine – Udo Shrine/鵜戸神宮
- Ocean – Great Pacific Ocean drive
- Statue – Sun Messe Nichinan – Moai Statues
- Mini Patting Zoo – Mizayaki Sun Messe Nichinan
- Animal Feeding Zoo – Aso Farmland
- Farm – Takachiho Farm Kirishima & Aso Farmland
- Sand Bath – Ibusuki
- Japanese Garden – Sengan-en Garden
- Tradition – Japanese Tea Ceremony experience
- Sea Transport – Ferry to Sakurajima
- Volcano – Sakurajima
- Castle – Kumamoto Castle
- University – Kumamoto University
- Ski Mountain – Mount Aso
- War History – Nagasaki Heiwa Peace Park
- Museum – Saga Space & Science Museum
One Round of Kyushu Island, Japan – Self Drive with the rental car
1. Why self drive in Kyushu?
Kyushu Island is located at the southern Island of Japan, about the size of Taiwan. It is one of the best places to do self-drive in Japan. Driving in Kyushu Island is similar to driving in Australia, the roads are quite spacious and not many cars. If you are the first time and don’t know where to start, you can try out Kyushu Japan. In total there are 7 Prefectures in Kyushu, you should be able to cover within a week.
2. Who should do self Drive?
If you have a pax of 4 and above or have young children and grandparents, it is wise to rent a car and drive around freely. It is harder to do free and easy with young and old in the family, I can’t imagine how you going to bring all the luggage from the Japan train station platform, some do not have the elevator, only stairs.
3. Cheaper Cost if you have pax of 4 and above!
Self Drive is cheaper than going with the big group of a tour. Check out the price at rentalcars.com . It depends on what kind of car you are renting. A normal 5 seater Mazda 3 sedan cost less than USD 70 per day. There are cheaper or more expensive car depends on your needs and budget. Taxi cost a bomb and train and subway and buses are not cheap in Japan.
4. Flexibility & Adventurous!
- See the thing you want to see!
- Eat the thing you like to eat!
- Plan your own date of travel!
- Choose your own hotel depending on your budget and liking!
You can stop anywhere and anytime you feel like. Plan your own routes. You won’t be dragged to shop if shopping is not your thing. If you are on a package tour, you have no choice but to follow and spend hours in the shopping area. You can try out any food in any restaurant at any time if you have the flexibility of your own car.
5. Go to places that local people usually go!
You get to shop at the shopping center or supermarkets which local people go, prices are normally cheaper and more variety and more authentic stuff you get. We stop daily to get our stuff at the supermarket, be it snacks, drinks, food & souvenirs!
Some other hidden gem which tour coaches can’t reach you can always do it with self-drive.
- Fukuoka Airport to Hakata City
- Fukuoka to Yufuin
- Enokiya Ryokan in Yufuin
- Things to do in Yufuin
- Donguri nomori in Yufuin – Totoro & friends
- Japanese Post Box
- Type of Umbrella Shops in Yufuin
- Japanese Chopsticks & Lunch Box Shop in Yufuin
- Old Train in the park in Yufuin
- Dinner in Yufuin
- Sanrio Hormonyland in Oita
- Beppu Hell
- Kamado Jigoku / Cooking Pot Devil Hell – Devil standing on top of the pond
- Umi Jigoku/ Sea Hell – biggest and color is cobalt blue, most recommended!
- Chinoike Jigoku/ Blood Pond Hell – Red color pond
- Steam your own dinner at Jigokumushikobo – must Try!
- Onsenkaku Ryokan Inn
- Beppu to Miyazaki
- Rest Area on the highway to Miyazaki
- Miyazaki City
- Different between Shrines and Temples in Japan
- Attraction 1: Udo Shrine/Udo Shrine/鵜戸神宮
- Breathtaking view of Great Pacific Ocean from Udo Shrines
- A shrine that prays for easy childbirth and Happy marriage
- Attraction 2: Sun Messe Nichinan – In Miyazaki
- Butterfly garden in Sun Messe Nichinan
- The rental Buggy car only for Japanese Driving Licence
- Colorful but bored looking Salaryman
- Spot the difference between the replica and Orginal Moai Statues
- Animal patting
- Dinner is Gyudon/牛丼
- Hotel Route Inn Miyazaki-Aoshima
- Miyazaki City to Kirishima – how far? 1.5 – 2 hr
- Kirishima (霧島)
- Takachiho Farm in Kirishima
- Our Rental Car – Mazda – how much does it cost?
- Kirishima Town
- Quiet Town before entering the Kirishima Shrine
- Home cook charcoal BBQ Chicken in Takachiho area
- Kirishima Royal Hotel
- Kirishima to Kagoshima City – How far?
- Kagoshima/鹿児島 highlight
- Sand bath at Ibusuki
- Student Lunch in Kagoshima City
- Kagoshima Ramen noodles
- Sengan-en Garden/仙巌園
- Bamboo Forest in Sengan-en Garden
- Japanese Tea Ceremony at the Iso Residence in Sengan-en Garden
- Ferris Wheel Amuran in Kagoshima City
- Ferry to Sakurajima
- Ferry cost Kagoshima – Sakurajima
- Sakurajima Volcano/桜島
- Free & Natural Volcano Facial Mask in Sakurajima
- Best Western Rembrandt Hotel Kagoshima – Resort
- Kagoshima to Kumamoto – How far?
- Kumamoto /熊本 – Bear origin
- Kumamoto Castle – 3rd Largest Castle in Japan
- Was there any female samurai?
- Key Features of Kumamoto Castle
- Kumamoto is a Bonchi/盆地
- Okonomiyaki at Daimonji /大文字
- Kumamoto University – The RED GATE/Akamon
- Kumamoto University Dormitory
- Green Rich Hotel Suizenji
Japan Self Drive in Kyushu 7 & 8 -Kumamoto Prefecture: Kumamoto Aso, the largest volcano in Japan: Summary
- Kumamoto City – Mount Aso
- Aso Milk Road & Aso Panorama Line
- Making midget snowman in Mount Aso
- Aso Farmland
- More animals at the indoor petting zoo
- Guinea pig and rabbits
- Aso Farm Land Resort – Igloo style of accommodation
- Nagasaki Heiwa Peace Park
- Saga Space & Science Museum
- Hakata Green Hotel Building No.2
Food Guide :
- Hakata Ramen – popular noodles in the southern island of Japan. The broth is made from pork bones called kurobuta or black pork.
- Champon – Try Nagasaki Champon, originated from Chinese students who studied in Japan during the Meiji era. Similar to ramen.
- Sasebo Burger – bacon and fried eggs and massive ground chicken burgers made with poultry from the Kyushu region
- Basashi / Raw Horse sashimi – If you dare, dip with soya sauce and ginger. (Sorry horse, I won’t eat you and I am not going to try)
- Mentaiko – spicy version of salted cod roe (tarako)
- Motsunabe – Hot pot dish
- Karashi Renkon – Kumamoto specialty, the dish made by filling the holes of lotus root with a mixture of Japanese chili, miso, and dry roasted bean curb lees, then deep frying the lotus root.
- Ika Shumai – squid dumpling from Saga Prefecture.
- Tonkatsu – Tonkatsu is a staple dish in Japanese cuisine but tries in Kagoshima as it uses Kurobuta or black pork – after deep fried, you will experience the crisp texture, softness and strong taste.
- Dessert – Ikinari Dango is a red bean mochi.
5 Tips to do Self Drive in Kyushu Island Japan
- Driver seat on the right-hand side, same as all commonwealth countries.
- Get ready your international driving license from your home country.
- Book the car in rentalcars.com
- Get your mobile roaming plan, in case you need to use google map from mobile phone or GPS is not working properly.
- If you have GPS, it is always wise to bring your own in case car rental company does not provide. Note, not all car rental company has GPS.
You may also like other self-drive destination :
- Self Drive in Central Region Japan (Gifu, Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route, Matsumoto, Mt Fuji, Nagoya)
- Self Drive in Britain, United Kingdom ( England, Wales & Edinburgh)
- Self Drive in the USA – California
- Self Drive in Thailand (From Bangkok to Chiang Mai)
- Self Drive in Taiwan Round The Island
I have affiliate program with the following booking website, so please click at your preference booking website here to check the hotels or airbnb you like to stay for your Japan Kyushu Island trip.