Japan Central Region / Chubu Road Map
We like to self drive within Japan outskirt cities, driving within major big cities is not recommended due to the heavy traffic and extremely narrow roads. Most sign are posted in “Romaji”- in English which is readable for foreigner. If you read Kanji/Chinese Character, you have the advantage of reading both in the signboard. I strongly recommend getting in a car and driving around the outskirt of Japan, this is the way to see the beautiful “inaka”/countryside of Japan. It is also more economical than buying expensive “shinkasen”/bullet train tickets or normal train tickets if you have pax of 4. Furthermore taxi cost a bomb in Japan.
My itinerary include :
- Fruits Park : Fruit picking at Togokusan
- Old Town : Magome, Takayama
- Festival Museum:Yatai Kaikan Takayama/ Festival museum
- Art Museum :Masumoto Art Museum
- Artist : Yayoi Kusama
- Car Museum : Toyota Car Museum
- Unseco : Shirakawa-go, Ogimachi Village
- Castle : Matsumoto Castle
- Lake : Yamanaka Lake
- Mountain : Mount Fuji & Kurobe Alpine
- Dam : Kurobe Dam
- Hot Spring : Hakone Onsen
- Shopping : Odawara
Food Guide in Chubu Japan/Central Japan :
- Takayama Ramen (Takayama Prefecture) – Common toppings for Takayama ramen include char siu pork, bamboo shoots and scallions.
- Hida Beef (Hida)- High quality breed of wagyu black haired cattle raised in Gifu, tender and juicy.
- Tatami Iwashi (Tokai )- A thin, cracker like sheet of baby sardines that has been sun dried, cut into smaller pieces. Good to have it with beer or sake.
- Unagi/Eel (Shizuoka Prefecture) – Una ju or Unadon roasted eel on top of rice.
- Miso-katsu (Aichi Prefecture) – Crispy fried tonkatsu with miso paste.
- Houtou (Yamanashi Prefecture) – Wheat flour noodles cooked with pumpkin or other vegetables in miso soup. Noodle is wider and flatter than regular noodels.
- Arrived at Nagoya Airport – 8am
- Togokusan Fruits Park/東谷山フルーツパーク
- Hotel Route Inn Nakatsugawa/中津川 in Gifu/岐阜
- Yatai Kaikan Takayama
- Takayama city
- Route Inn Grantia Hidatakayama
- Takayama city – Nakabashi Bridge
- Shirakawa-go, Ogimachi Village (UNESCO world heritage site)
- Tonami Royal Hotel in Toyama
- Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route
- Hotel Morinokaze Tateyama
- Matsumoto Art Musuem in Matsumoto City
- Shopping in Matsumoto City
- Hotel Montagne Matsumoto
- Matsumoto Castle
- Lake Yamanaka
- Hotel Mt.Fuji, Yamanashi
- Mt Fuji Station 5 ( Gotemba Trail)
- Hakone Hotel Kowakien
- Toyota Musuem in Nagoya
- Meitetsu Inn Chitahandaeki
Day 9 – Itinerary Nagoya Airport
- Nagoya Airport
You may also like to read about other self drive destination :
- Self Drive in Kyushu Island Japan (Fukuoka, Beppu, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Miyazaki) 8 Days
- Taiwan Round The Island Self Drive Itinerary 8 Days
- Self Drive in Britain, United Kingdom ( England, Wales & Scotland) 11 Days 9 Nights
- Self Drive in USA – California 16 Days 13 Nights
- Self Drive in Thailand (From Bangkok to Chiang Mai) 8 Days
I have affiliate program with the following booking website, so please click at your preference booking website here to check the hotels or airbnb you like to stay for your Japan Central Region/Chubu trip.